Information: If you have problems with your login or password, you can send an e-mail to [email protected] describing the problem.

Tennis Watson beats Maria to reach Nottingham quarter-finals

Warning: Only English posts are made in this forum. Please write only in English, writing in languages other than English is prohibited!

Lupin

Staff member
lcimg-fd2cd2c5-baa4-4b6d-b6f2-99158faeda53.jpeg

Heather Watson booked her place in the quarter-finals of the Nottingham Open with a straight-sets win over her friend and former doubles partner Tatjana Maria on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old Watson clinched a single crucial break in each set to wrap up a 6-4 6-4 win over the German, with whom she reached the last eight at Wimbledon in 2018.

It was a notable win for Watson against a player currently ranked 129 places higher in the world rankings, as she aims to emulate last year's grass-court success that included a run to the fourth round at Wimbledon.

Watson, who next plays world number 99 Viktorija Golubic, told the BBC: "I came through qualifying and each match I've got a bit better but there's more to come.

"Tatjana is my best friend on tour, we have played doubles together and spent a lot of time together. It's never easy to play a friend but at the same time it's really special sharing a court with her."

There was disappointment for Britain on the men's side of the draw as Liam Broady suffered a 7-6 (4) 6-4 defeat to Japan's Sho Shimabukuro, while world number 409 Arthur Fery fell 6-4 6-2 to fifth seed Dominik Koepfer.