Information: If you have problems with your login or password, you can send an e-mail to [email protected] describing the problem.

Tennis Medvedev cruises into third round at Madrid Open

Warning: Only English posts are made in this forum. Please write only in English, writing in languages other than English is prohibited!

Lupin

Staff member
lcimg-44be0fb1-c237-49e9-9b24-49e10452ef63.jpeg

Second-seeded Daniil Medvedev advanced to the third round of the Madrid Open after beating qualifier Andrea Vavassori 6-4 6-3 on Saturday in the Russian's first match of the tournament.

The third-ranked Medvedev leads the men's circuit with four titles won this season - all on hard courts - and is now 32-4 on the year.

Medvedev is considered the top challenger to defending champion Carlos Alcaraz, who fought back to beat Emil Ruusuvuori in three sets in his opener on Friday.

"I will try my best as always," Medvedev said. "Today I felt very good on the court, and on the rallies I was in control and that is very important on clay."

The 164th-ranked Vavassori upset two-time Madrid winner Andy Murray in the previous round. The Italian played well early on and forced Medvedev to save three break points, but the former US Open winner took control by breaking his opponent on his last service game of the first set.

Medvedev will next face qualifier Alexander Shevchenko, who beat Jiri Lehecka 6-1 6-1.