Information: If you have problems with your login or password, you can send an e-mail to [email protected] describing the problem.

Tennis Kalinina hopes Rome run provides some comfort for Ukraine

Warning: Only English posts are made in this forum. Please write only in English, writing in languages other than English is prohibited!

Lupin

Staff member
1685748122084.png

Ukraine's Anhelina Kalinina said she was determined to give her war-torn country something to cheer about with her achievements on the tennis court after beating Russian 11th seed Veronika Kudermetova to reach the final of the Italian Open.

Kalinina's entire family is now in Kyiv following Russia's invasion of Ukraine - which Moscow calls a "special military operation" -but constantly face danger. A bomb recently exploded near a tennis academy that her parents run.

The 26-year-old said her elderly grandparents had also relocated from their family home in the southern city of Nova Kakhovka, which is currently occupied by Russian soldiers.

"It's really important to win every match, because of what Ukraine goes through," Kalinina said after her 7-5 5-7 6-2 win on Friday.

"I really hope that I give a tiny, small light, maybe some positive emotions for my country. So I really hope that Ukraine enjoys a little bit."

The 30th seed snubbed Kudermetova at the net in the latest example of a Ukrainian tennis player shunning post-match tradition towards a Russian.

"We didn't shake hands because the girl is from Russia basically," Kalinina said. "It's no secret why I didn't shake, because this country actually attacks Ukraine.

"This is sport, I understand, but it's also kind of politician thing. It is nothing personal. But in general, yes, it's not acceptable."

Kalinina will next face Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina in the showpiece.

Wimbledon champion Rybakina beat Latvia's Jelena Ostapenko 6-2 6-4 in a rain-interrupted match, battling back from a 4-1 deficit in the second set to win five games on the spin.

"I'm happy to win," Rybakina said. "It was a really tough day overall with all the rain delays. I came without any expectation because I knew the other years were really tough for me playing here.

"I'm just happy that I got so many matches now before the French Open."