Information: If you have problems with your login or password, you can send an e-mail to [email protected] describing the problem.

Tennis Evans wants Davis Cup ties to revert to the old home-and-away format

Warning: Only English posts are made in this forum. Please write only in English, writing in languages other than English is prohibited!

Lupin

Staff member
lcimg-3ec3de50-84e4-462a-9e3b-fa4654f40668.jpg

Dan Evans would like to see Davis Cup ties revert to the old home-and-away format following the collapse of the International Tennis Federation's long-term deal with Gerard Pique's Kosmos group.

The ITF controversially partnered with the former Barcelona and Spain footballer in 2018 to revamp the historic competition, with Kosmos promising to invest three billion US dollars in the sport over 25 years.

It seemed hugely unlikely at the time that the competition would generate the sort of income to support such an investment and so it has proved.

British No 2 Evans reacted to the news with typical candour, saying: "It is disappointing that they can't keep filling our pockets. It was a matter of time, wasn't it? We were getting paid a little too much for not a lot, I guess."

The ITF has committed to keeping the same format for this year but the future direction of the competition is now clouded in uncertainty.

One of the criticisms of the old format was top players were no longer prepared to commit several weeks across the year to Davis Cup but Evans believes reverting back could prove a success.

"The younger generation, I think they are pumped to win the Davis Cup," he said. "We changed it when I don't think it necessarily needed the whole format changing.

"Davis Cup is about the fans. It's not about the players, in my opinion. If you've got home and away, I think you're still getting a good crowd. Glasgow was tough for the other matches (not involving Britain). It doesn't look good for the tournament."

lcimg-d45e06a5-3542-4f19-b609-e4306d45be7b.jpg

Evans has also called for Tim Henman, who earned plaudits for his captaincy at the recent United Cup, to be brought more into the British tennis fold.

While acknowledging the former world No 4's services would come at a price, he said: "(I don't know) if that question has been asked or not by the federation. But, if it has not, it is staggering.

"These guys, the ex-players, need to be kept in the game, the very good ones anyway. He was popular, he was great, he really helped."

Evans, who hopes he has put a recent illness behind him, will play Facundo Bagnis in the first round of the Australian Open on Tuesday.