Information: If you have problems with your login or password, you can send an e-mail to [email protected] describing the problem.

Boxing Emanuel Navarrete comes through to win nine-round thriller but Liam Wilson claims fourth-round count was too lon

Warning: Only English posts are made in this forum. Please write only in English, writing in languages other than English is prohibited!

Lupin

Staff member
1675537611986.png

Emanuel Navarrete forced a dramatic stoppage in the ninth round to win a thrilling clash with Liam Wilson and win the vacant WBO super-featherweight title.

Australia's Wilson was a significant underdog against Navarrete, the unbeaten Mexican star who had already been a world champion at super-bantam and featherweight.

But it was Wilson who struck first at the Desert Diamond Arena in Glendale, Arizona on Friday. Opening up against his all-action opponent, Wilson hurt Navarrete in the fourth round. As the Mexican wobbled back Wilson sustained the flurry and bowled Navarrete off his feet.

1675537649027.png

Afterwards Wilson complained the referee's count after the fourth-round knockdown had lasted too long. "I thought I won the fight in that sense because I think it was about a 20-second count. I'll review it and see what happens there," he said afterwards.

Navarrete's mouthguard had dropped out and he bought extra time as the gumshield was put back in place.

At 28 years old and in the 38th bout of his professional career, Navarrete used all his experience and rallied remarkably.

Coming back at Wilson, he put combinations together. But the Australia managed to shake him up again in the sixth round when he planted a big right on his chin.