Information: If you have problems with your login or password, you can send an e-mail to [email protected] describing the problem.

Tennis Australian Open: Alfie Hewett wins his maiden wheelchair singles title in Melbourne to add to his doubles success

Warning: Only English posts are made in this forum. Please write only in English, writing in languages other than English is prohibited!

Lupin

Staff member
1674911737235.png

Britain's Alfie Hewett defeated Tokito Oda 6-3 6-1 to lift his maiden Australian Open men's wheelchair singles title on Saturday.

World No 1 Hewett, a runner-up at Melbourne Park in 2021 and 2022, won his seventh Grand Slam singles title.

The success made it a golden two days for the Norfolk player, who also won the doubles title with British team-mate Gordon Reid on Friday.

1674911782704.png

Hewett was 3-1 down in the first set but won five games in a row to clinch it and then repeated the sequence in the second set, sealing the victory with an ace before sobbing with delight.

"It's been a dream this time around," Hewitt told Sky Sports News. "To finish the week with a first singles, a doubles title with Gordon and world number one ranking, it doesn't get much better than that.

"There's been a lot of heartbreak in Australia the last couple of years. Today was another opportunity to turn that around and maybe I was a little tight at the beginning but I managed to turn that around.

"I played well to manage the match and once I won that first set I relaxed a lot more and played my best tennis."