Information: If you have problems with your login or password, you can send an e-mail to [email protected] describing the problem.

Tennis Andy Murray wins 2022 Arthur Ashe Humanitarian award for his support of humanitarian efforts in Ukraine

Warning: Only English posts are made in this forum. Please write only in English, writing in languages other than English is prohibited!

Lupin

Staff member
lcimg-6422f005-840c-461d-bb4a-b315228701b6.jpeg

Andy Murray has been named the 2022 Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Award recipient in recognition of his support for the humanitarian efforts in Ukraine.

It is the second time that Murray has received the award, winning it in 2014 for his work as a UNICEF UK Ambassador and joins Andre Agassi, Roger Federer and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi as two-time winners of the award.

Upon receiving the award, Murray opened up on what motivates him to make a difference and why receiving such an honour "means a lot."

"In February I was playing the tournament in Dubai and I remember watching the news and there were rumours about something happening between Russia and Ukraine.

"A few days later when Russia invaded Ukraine everyone was very worried about what it would mean. When all the images on the news showing what was happening to families began pouring in, it was devastating.

"Houses were bombed and families were displaced. Young children were affected by this, with many injured and in some cases dying. I wasn’t sure what I could do to help.

"Shortly after I decided that from Indian Wells onwards, I would donate my prize money for the rest of the season to UNICEF’s humanitarian response – the final total was just over $630,000.

"It seemed like something that would give me some extra motivation this year. I thought I could also raise some awareness and hopefully get others involved in helping, too.

"There are 7.5 million children in Ukraine and after more than nine months of increased conflict, 5.2 million of them are in need of assistance. UNICEF is working around the clock to keep children safe by ensuring child health and protection services are sustained, critical supplies are delivered to families and that children have clean water and nutritious food.