Information: If you have problems with your login or password, you can send an e-mail to [email protected] describing the problem.

Tennis Andy Murray vs Thanasi Kokkinakis: Home Favourite Praises 'Role Model' Opponent Ahead Of Australian Open Meeting

Warning: Only English posts are made in this forum. Please write only in English, writing in languages other than English is prohibited!

Lupin

Staff member
1674054092831.png

Thanasi Kokkinakis says he is ready for the challenge of facing "role model" Andy Murray in the second round of the Australian Open on Thursday.

Home favourite Kokkinakis is ranked 159 but has beaten six top 20 players in his career including Roger Federer in Miami and Andrey Rublev last week.

He came through his first round match against Fabio Fognini in straight sets - a match that was delayed on Tuesday due to extreme heat and storms.

When play was stopped, Kokkinakis was five points away from a win but swiftly finished the job on Wednesday.

The 26-year-old played Murray in the Davis Cup in 2015 and won just six games in three sets, but believes he is in a better place now.

"He definitely handed it to me that day, but I'm ready now, I feel good," said Kokkinakis.

"It's going to be a tough match, obviously. I watched a fair bit of his match against Berrettini and he played great. He is looking in good shape. I've practised with him a fair bit recently.

"I'm just going to continue to play my game. He may have lost a little bit [of pace], but his anticipation is just as good as ever, and he can still play at the top with the best of them. I'm going to be ready for the best version of Murray."